Instructor Internship Program
Winter Skills Instructor Internship Program
October 17th, 2023 - April 30th, 2024
The Winter Skills Instructor Internship Program is an excellent way to train to become a professional ski or snowboard instructor. This winter long program blends a variety of skills based training, industry certifications, practical paid work experience and academic coursework related to conservation, guiding leadership, Indigenous relations and risk management.
Highlights of this program include CSIA/CASI Level 1 & 2 certifications, group expeditions and other certifications related Avalanche Safety Training 1, Wilderness Advanced First Aid and guiding leadership.
*Students are also able to put their training to use while working as paid ski or snowboards instructors in Banff throughout the winter season.*
Timberline Academy is locally owned and operated so our students can expect an inclusive, team-based atmosphere with a high level of on the ground support. We make the extra effort to engage our students in the community through weekly group activities, like hockey, family dinners and by participating in local volunteering initiatives.
* International Students enrolled in this program are eligible for a Student Work Visa. This visa allows you to fulfill your paid work component of the program while also being eligible to work an additional 20 hours a week off-campus. No Working Holiday Visa required.
**Graduates of this program are NOT eligible for a post-graduate work permit.
*Employment in conditional upon CSIA/CASI Level 1 training attendance and successful Level 1 Exam.
**October accommodation is included. Students pay rent on a month-by-month basis afterwards. This allows students the flexibility to stay in our accommodation throughout the summer. Banff has a 0% vacancy rate year-round making it extremely difficult to secure summer housing.
***A season’s ski pass to your home resort is included. An upgrade to include all three resorts can be made for a deeply discounted rate.
All of our students live in fully furnished apartments in the town of Banff. It is important to us that all of our students are able to cook and live independent, healthy lifestyles. No hostels, no hotels.
Students have a blend of classroom based and practical learning in the mountains. Indoor training typically takes place at 333 Banff Ave, Banff, AB or 100 Norquay Road, Banff, AB. Outdoor training takes place at a variety of locations in Banff National Park, Kananaskis Provincial Park, Jasper National Park and Kootenay National Park.
- Contact the admissions team to setup a 30-45 minute phone call to go over the details of the program, answer any questions and make sure it is a good fit.
- Submit cover letter & resume
- There is a $500CAD + 5%GST application fee payable to secure spot in program.
- International students can then begin the study permit application process with our assitance.
- At Timberline we are proud of the quality of our programming that comes with small groups. We accept 56 students into the Winter Skills Instructor Internship Program every year.
Tuition: $15,450CAD + 5%GST
Deposit: $500CAD + 5%GST
Total: $15,950CAD + 5%GST
Tuition is due in full upon the start of the program